Three Steps to Starting a Spiritual Fast
1. Join with others in your community of faith. Find other believers who will join you in an extended fast and encourage one another daily.
2. Choose your type of fast you will engage in.
- Full Fast: Drink liquids only. Always consult your doctor first before entering into this type fast.
- Daniel Fast: Eat only vegetables, fruit, water and juice (minimal amount of carbohydrates).
- Partial Fast: Not eating one or two meals on a specific day or abstaining from certain kinds of food.
- All-day Food Fast: Abstaining from food one day or multiple days per week.
- Activity/Media Fast: Forgoing a time-consuming activity such as entertainment, hobbies, television, internet, sports, etc.
3. Set prayer and fasting goals.
- Write 5 to 7 spiritual goals you believe God is calling you to fast and pray over.
- Pray reflecting over these questions
-Where do you need a personal breakthrough?
-Where does your church need a breakthrough?
John Piper offers these words to those who want to enter the world of fasting. “Do you have a hunger for God? If we don't feel strong desires for the manifestation of the glory of God, it is not because we have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because we have nibbled so long at the table of the world. Our soul is stuffed with small things, and there is no room for the great. If we are full of what the world offers, then perhaps a fast might express, or even increase, our soul's appetite for God. Between the dangers of self-denial and self-indulgence is the path of pleasant pain called fasting.”